Sunday, September 18, 2005

Ride 13 - Beaune

Well I had enough of Bill's snoring...as it was now disrupting my sleep and thus my riding. I never knew once could snore on the inhale and the exhale!

Now with my own room...dumping 90 Euro for each of the remaining nights in France, I could now SLEEP! Ahhhhhhhhhh.

So this day of riding (and I'm writing about it on the plane from Lyon to Amsterdam) was a bit sluggish given my lack of sleep. The day broke about 30 degrees cooler than the day prior. With the wind blowing very hard and the feel of autumn in the air...I was not much into riding. After 60 minutes of fighting the strong winds that would nearly slow my bike from 18mph to about
7mph in one gust, I decided to ride the tailwind and head back home. I gave Bill the map and peddled a blistering pace through the vineyards of the Bourgonenne.

Back at Clo du Columbier in Pommard, I took a shower, a brief nap and then headed into Beaune for a little sightseeing. It was a busy town full of shops, tourist and some of the first English speakers I would hear on the streets of France. I walked into the most exquisite frommage shop where the waft of stinky cheese filled the hall. There were the smallest of cherve morsels (almost Belgian truffle in size) selling for nearly 5 Euro (or 7 dollars). I figured each breath I took in the shop had to be worth a quarter. Ahhhhhhh!

Dinner that evening was in Volay...and a gastronome de regional. I had croq en vin and immediately attempted to discover its ingredients to replicate when home (I think I can do it). Dinner was most certainly accompanied with a fine Bourgonenne (Burgundy) from Volay; perfectly matched!

I was so full it took me at least 45 minutes to digest then fall a sleep.
Stats for the day:

Temp: 47F - scattered clouds and WINDY!
Distance: 12 miles
Time: 1 hour 25 minutes
Ascend: 1250 ft
Calories: ? Too few and forgot my chest strap.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home