Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Ride 10 - Col du Chat & Col de l'Epine

I slept so good last night, it must have been the best night's sleep in a few years. I probably went to bed around 10pm and did wake once until 8:30am! Wow, you've got to love vacations where there is no TV, no internet...just breakfast and your bike that waits dawn. Cool!


Tony and Angela had fresh breads, confitures, yoghurt, cafe, Gruyere and jamon all waiting for us. We breakfast on the deck that faced the rising sun, the town of Chambery and the beautiful lake below us (maybe 1000 feet below). It was an incredible way to start the morning. Bill and I filled our bellies while chatting about the sad state of Americans and our culture. We then suited up and mounted our bikes for a big climbing day over, around and back over the spine of mountains protecting the Lac du Bourget, called Mont du Chat.


Bill seems to be feeling better and his ego seems to have a tough time giving me the KOM jersey at the top of each Col, but Hah! I crossed the first Col, Col du Chat several, maybe 50 meters before him; I'm becoming a scary fast climber and I notice my endurance during the climbs is monster caliber! Yessssssssssssssssssssssss!

After the Col du Chat we rolled into the Rhone river valley where vineyards peppered the landscape with old farm houses strewn between. We could hear culverts of water running along side as the road wound through the wavy landscape and our bikes followed them like a song. After crossing the Rhone twice we found ourselves in another fluerie town (French towns in association to display flowers EVERYWHERE, and I mean everywhere) called Yenne, which seem to be quite the center of the Rhone valley in France'sSovie (Savoy) region.

It was 12:30pm, knowing I needed food soon, bill was not ready for lunch, so we pushed on. BIG MISTAKE! Bill learned today you don't want to hit empty on the Lisa blood sugar meter AND we hit the big "E.". Ouch. Lisa becomes irrational, mean and generally not the life of the party. Lisa usually knows this and brings a bar, GU or both the "break in case of emergency.". With no town for 10K and no loyal French boulangier open until
2:30pm, needless to say both bill and I will bring rations next time...that's if he will ride with me again.

After some food and calmer heads prevailed in the small town of Novalaise (where nearly every store owner except one was on vacation until October) we set out for our second big (actually the bigger Col) of the day. This was a monster! We had just over 600m to climb in a little more than 6km to 1040m atop the Col de l'Epine (one the TDF often includes)...the math says average of just under 10% and it felt like it. Bill led out and without much km's to aid in digestion, we went out strong. I was feeling really good (now with the blood sugar at normal) so I took the lead on the climb with about 3K to go. My legs had a strong and solid cadence and I could feel my body really ease into the pace, enjoy it while absorbing the tree canopied roads of this most magnificent climb. Feeling that Bill was probably 20 meters back I could hear him wheezing (residual cold)...then with 1km to go I heard a click, click...and he was standing on his pedals, breathing heavy to take the Col.

But it was too soon, so I increased my tempo and he fell behind...knowing he'd attack in another 200 meters or so. My legs where feeling heavy...my heart rate had room to spare...but as we approached the Col, bill hammered with his massive legs, so out of zone, pushing the hardest I've seen him (maybe taking out aggression from my low blood sugar event) and he zoomed on ahead. I picked up my tempo...going so hard and putting me out of MY zone, that I nearly at my lunch again. Bill claimed the Col. Drats.

The down slope from l'Epine was gorgeous. We could see the Alps, Chambery and the extent of the Lac du Bourget. The road was like another song, rhythmic, sweet and full of color...it was exactly what I need after a REALLY hard ride.

Now after a hot shower and a guzzle of water, I'm enjoying the late afternoon light as it filters through the vineyards just south of my chambre. Stats for the day:

Temp: 78F sunny and wonderful
Distance: 53 miles
Ascent: 5400 feet
Time: 5 hours 45 minutes (including 1hr wait for Boulangier to open)
Calories: 1450

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home