Friday, September 16, 2005

Ride 11 - Col du Chat

What a great morning.

Bill wanted to toodle into Chamberey and I needed one more look at Col du Chat, feeling my heart beat as I wound around the tight cliff edges peering out over the massive lake filling the valley below. After another great breakfast with pain au olives and frommage de chevre (which Tony fetched from the next town over)...I set out for my solo climb. It was great as I passed one, two, three, four riders when I reached the summit in 45 minutes feeling like I am in the best shape of my life.

Descending down, my sweat cooled against my skin, starring out over the lake, pondering where the days travels would take us...as we were checking out and heading to another region in France and likely the Burgundy region.

Getting back to the Chambres (room), Tony insisted I use the outdoor shower (which only had visual protection from the adjacent neighbors and not Tony), but I told him I'd use my room shower given that check out time had not expired. He was disappointed and said something about it being okay for Clinton to sleep with his assistant but I couldn't take an outdoor shower. Didn't quite follow the logic...but Tony was also HIGHLY perplexed that Bill and I were not together (yet traveling together) and that we had asked for separate beds. Tony did try to match make me with the young Frenchman traveling with his parents and also staying at his inn...I loved that he tried!

Bill arrived back from Chamberey and I was napping under the big tree under laying on the lawn. We packed up and headed to Lyon, to pick up our bike boxes then drive north to the beautiful rolling hills of the Burgundy region (just north of Macon and south of Dijon). We strolled into Pommard and to an amazing little vintner...Clo du Columbier where an old Chateau set in the vineyards would be the venue for our last few days and nights in France.

Upon arrival in Pommard, we ate bread, pears, cheese and chocolate before turning in.

Stats:
Temp: 78F Sunny
Distance: 11 miles
Ascend: 1400 feet
Time: 55 minutes
Calories: 550

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home