Thursday, September 14, 2006

Vallon-Pont-d' Arc

Guy, Bill and I were on a mission this morning. We were fully charged after a day conquering Ventoux.

Mission, spin to Vallon-Pont-d' Arc to check out a good group bike route AND stop in on the Kayak outfits for the group float.

Spinning out of the chateau we hit the farmland flats and vineyards for a 50 mile crankfest with an average speed of 24 miles an hour with a good cross/head wind. Ill ride guy's and bills ass any day (did I say that?); actually these guys can push the flats like no one's business!

We arrived in Pont d' Arc around noon, checking in with the operators then grabbing a patise and a wonderful crepe and cafe with the snappiest french waitress, who gave Bill a run for his money (very comical).

Heading back to the chateau we would need to climb back into Banne (about 1200 feet). After letting those guys push all they way back into town, I jumped on the climb breaking apart the group for what I thought would be a clean get away. After going fully anerobic (177 heart rate) and thinking I was all alone, I turned around and Guy was pulling Bill right up the hill! Drats, I couldn't believe these guys were hot on my tail as I was nearing 13 mph up a 6-7% slope. I knew I had to ease up or blow up...I took the heart rate to 160 to claim the town for myself. Then through town Guy would then go for the sprint taking me then fighting Bill for a few more. Bill would ultimately win the final decisive sprint up to Mazel (the chateau).

Later that day we would take out the rest of our chateau mates for a taste of cycling in France followed by a great meal in Le Vanne with our entire group.

Stats:
Weather: sunny then light rain 70's
Distance 100K
Elevation: 1500 feet
Destress Factor 9+

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home